Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Aritcle Reflection



Fabulous ideas shared within the article, and I want to do it all, but I'm concerned about the amount of time I have to do it.  I know it sounds like a cop-out, but truly, how do you fit all of this into the classroom.  I would love to incorporate blogging, but with only 5 computers and other technology requirements to be met within my district, the question that continues to float through my mind is "How?".

Clearly technology is very important in this day and age.  Anyone that isn't using some form of technology in their classroom on a daily basis is doing a disservice to their students.  However, when you are only given a limited amount of supplies and time, how do you make the most of it all. 

Additionally, I still have many students that do not have access to the Internet from their home.  This is disheartening to say the least.  While many of the examples you give prompt students to go online at home to complete projects, I only have the time during the school day to truly reach them. 

In essence, I would love to be a part of all of the forms of technology introduced within the article, but it seems a bit daunting and I'm not sure where to start.  Additionally, I would love more information on how to find grants/funds to purchase more Ipads/laptops so that my students can participate in these activities on a regular basis.  Anyone have any ideas?

On a brighter note, I signed up for Kidublog and plan to have my students start using it this week!

3 comments:

  1. Suggestion: start small with what you have. And yes, you do bring up the issue of the digital divide. Many students do not have computers at home or if they do, they don't have Internet access. However, if your school stays open after classes, the students might be able to use a media center to continue to do homework. It all depends on what kinds of after or before school programs are available. I live in the town where you teach, and it is disappointing to hear the digital divide is hitting my hometown. I wish my tax dollars could go directly to tech access in schools (in addition to the other essential town services). If your administrators see you're keen on tech and know what you're doing, you might see down the road that they will be more supportive of finding the funding. KidBlog, though, is a good starting point, even though it might go slowly at first in terms of student access. I have also heard that once students get excited, they find access--at neighbor's and friends' houses, and other places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, overall I can't complain too much. Each classroom is equipped with a Promethean board and 5 computers. We also have 1 media center shared between 5-6 grade. I would love to have a way for all of my students to have access to a computer at all times so that we could eliminate so much paper use, but there are many districts that have less. I am pumped to have them start blogging tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail, I am feeling the same way about how to find the time to devote to this with all the new curriculum we have to implement at our school. We have 24 laptops per team, and we have trouble getting access to on a consistent basis as we share these between three classes. I cant imagine how you could actively use, unless you set it up where a group of 5 blog on Monday, another group on Tues, one on Wednesday and so on. I guess we need to look at it from the perspective that any exposure to these tech programs is better than none - even if a child only uses it once a week. What my problem is - is that I learn by hands on experience and repetition (much like my students), so if I dont use on a daily basis for a while, I tend to forget how to use. I wonder if that would be the case with the kids as well or if they are tech savvy enough to navigate. As technology becomes more pertinent in the daily lives of our students in regards to curriculum, it seems to me that the government should be funding some of the expenses to purchase the latest in technology. That case in point - will the technology purchased be effective in 5-10 years due to all the changes and upgrades moving so quickly? Food for thought

    ReplyDelete