Monday, January 14, 2013

New Literacies

The world we live in today is constantly changing at a rapid pace. New literacy to me equates to the ever changing ways in which we as people need to adjust in order to comprehend what is happening around us.  Technology engulfs us in every aspect of our day. People are losing their lives because they are less focused on operating a vehicleas they are on communicating through some form of technology.  I think that new literacy is more than simply being able to decipher between what is fact or fiction via the internet, but also how to be responsible users of the new found technology.  There are many people, myself included, who encounter a new form of technology with little to no understanding of how to utilize it.  It is within new literacy that we are charged with the task of figuring out the task of how to best utilize new tools to benefit our own lives.

National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers
National Educational Technology Standards for Students


In regards to what NETS for students and teachers requires, I think that they are ambitious goals.  Unfortunately, and I can only speak for my district, there is not enough training to get us to the point of meeting these standards.  I notice that the last standard for teachers is to "Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership", however it does not say at whose expense.  I am currently taking this course, but I am the one footing the bill.  We can't continue to expect more from our educators and not properly prepare them to meet the tasks set before them.

No comments:

Post a Comment